Welcome to the 2021 Music: Count Us In Program!
We are extremely excited to be bringing you yet another fantastic year of our program, Music: Count Us In. This year, there are some important changes that everyone will need to familiarise themselves with.
FOR A SUMMARY OF THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAILS ABOUT MCUI 2021, READ ON BELOW.
WHAT IS MUSIC: COUNT US IN (MCUI) ABOUT?
Music: Count Us In, an initiative of the peak representative body, Music Australia, is a program which aims to provide quality music education to thousands of schools each year across Australia. We advocate for the importance of music education in classrooms and aim to provide the opportunity for all students across Australia to have access to a quality music education.
HOW DOES MUSIC: COUNT US IN WORK?
Each year, we open up our National Songwriting Competition (details below) to all secondary students around Australia. We select a few lucky winners to meet and collaborate with a celebrity mentor and our Program Ambassador, John Foreman OAM. They collaborate to write a song which becomes the national song for the year’s program.
We then provide teachers with high quality, curriculum-following resources to teach their students the program song. This provides schools with a term’s worth of quality music education. We also provide Professional Development/Learning workshops to help strengthen teacher’s skills and confidence to teach music in the classrooms. We will also be providing a community forum for teachers to communicate and help one another.
The program culminates with the very exciting, annual “Celebration Day” (look out for the next one 4 November 2021!). On Celebration Day, we run a broadcasted event for which schools can send in footage of their classrooms preparing the program song. This broadcasted event is hosted by our program ambassador and TV personality John Foreman. After a 10-second countdown, teachers, students and parents from all around Australia are invited to perform the program song all as one glorious, unified voice along with the broadcasted live performances by selected schools across Australia. Celebration Day is looked forward to by students and teachers alike!
WHERE CAN I GET ALL OF THE DETAILS ABOUT THE MUSIC: COUNT US IN 2021 PROGRAM?
For a summary of the most important information, please read on below. If you would like more detailed information about the program, please take a look at our brochure:
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Teachers and students across Australia from any school can register, have access to our resources and participate on Celebration Day. One of our major aims is to be as inclusive as possible. Towards this aim:
- we cater to specialist and non-specialist music teachers;
- we provide resources to cater to students in need of special education material;
- we provide Braille scores of the pieces;
- there is always an AUSLAN translation of the song for the hearing impaired; and
- there is always an Indigenous language remix of the song to celebrate our First Nations cultures.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
For a detailed list of everything included in our program resources, please head to page 5 of our 2021 Program Brochure.
Below is a summary of what is included if you register:
KEY COMPONENTS AND DATES
- 16 FEBRUARY 2021 – last day by which to register your school’s participation
- 4 JANUARY – 26 FEBRUARY 2021 – Entries are accepted for the National Songwriting Competition (encourage your secondary school students to start writing their songs as early as possible!) (See below for further information!)
- TERM 3 – Receive online teaching resources and top quality, music curriculum aligned lesson plans to help teach the Program Song to your students
- TERM 3 & 4 – Receive 5hrs accredited* professional learning workshops to further develop your skills teaching music (online or face-to-face)
- 4 NOVEMBER 2021 – our annual Celebration Day where schools across the nation sing the same song, on the same day, at the same time, in celebration of music education in schools.
*2021 Accreditation (5hrs) is currently being approved.
THE NATIONAL SONGWRITING COMPETITION (CLOSING DATE: 26 FEBRUARY 2021)
The National Songwriting Competition is open to all secondary school students. It is free and does not require registration to the MCUI program. Entries will be accepted from Jan 4 – Feb 26 2021. Students are required to submit their entry as an mp3 with an accompanying lyric sheet via email, but must register their details online via our website and download the Song Brief so they know the criteria. Click HERE for info and links to register.
The Program Song is written by the winners of the 2021 MCUI National Student Songwriting Competition. The winning students attend a one-day Songwriting Workshop in March, where they work with our Program Ambassador John Foreman OAM, and our Celebrity Music Mentor to compose the Program Song.
For more information about our National Songwriting Competition, please see page 7 of our 2021 Program Brochure.
It is never too early to encourage your students to start writing their entries for the program song now, but make sure to read all the details from our Brochure first!
MUSIC: COUNT US IN‘S NEW USER-PAYS MODEL
Until now, Music: Count Us In has been funded by the Federal Government. This will no longer be the case due to their decision that these funds should go directly to schools for them to disperse as they see fit via their school’s performing arts budget. As such, we are moving to a “User-Pays” model.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
|Full Price||$2.00 per student|
|Early Bird Discount*||$1.80 per student|
|Large School||$2.00 for the first 400 students and $1.00 for the 401st student and beyond|
|Disadvantaged School#||$1.00 per student|
*register by 31 December 2020 to be eligible for the Early Bird price
#ICSEA well below 1000
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY SCHOOL’S ARTS BUDGET IS NOT LARGE ENOUGH TO PAY THESE COSTS?
There are two options:
- The first is to pass the cost onto parents ($1 – $2) added with other costs and charges a school may pass on at the commencement of the year
- The second is taking advantage of our philanthropic initiative established by Music Australia
To donate, please click here: Music: Count Us In (raisely.com)
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR SCHOOL’S INTEREST IN BEING A RECIPIENT OF DONATION FUNDING
For details on how to register for donation funding, please see page 13 of our Program Brochure:
Please note that funding will be allocated first towards schools which meet the following criteria:
1. The school has traditionally been a registered school in the Music: Count Us In program, but will no longer be able to participate through the introduction of the fee;
2. The school has an ICSEA well below 1000 and is categorised as a disadvantaged school for other comparable programs;
3. The school has a high proportion of indigenous students (or alternatively the school has a high proportion of students who are particularly vulnerable and would particularly benefit from participation in the program).
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
1. Click the button above, “Register For The 2021 MCUI Program”
2. It will take you to our official MCUI 2021 page
3. Once there, fill in your details
4. Someone from the MCUI team will give you a call
E: [email protected]
P: 1300 00 MCUI (1300 00 6284)