Passionate about empowering Australia’s teachers with new and inventive approaches to music education, Music Australia has teamed up with Musical Futures Australia to offer a FREE* nationwide program of Songwriting Workshops for Teachers in 2014 and 2015.
Building on the success of Music: Count Us In, Music Australia continues to extend opportunities to senior primary and secondary teachers through the songwriting workshops to develop their music skills and increase their confidence. A resource toolkit is supplied to assist with fostering creativity when working with students.
Since the dawn of time, humans have developed ways to tell stories, inspired by our experiences and imaginations. One of the most significant and popular ways to tell stories is through song. Unlock the art and craft of songwriting so that teachers and students alike can build their skills and confidence.
Musical Futures believe that music learning works best for young students when they are involved in making music, drawing out students’ passion for music with an informal, collaborative classroom environment. The Musical Futures approach is revolutionising music education in schools across the world, including more than 300 Australian primary and secondary schools.
*Workshops are free. $20 fee to cover catering costs for the day.
Why teach your students songwriting:
- Students can direct the outcome of their music making and creatively apply their musical knowledge and skill
- Students can express themselves, as well as work collaboratively with their peers to explore shared experiences and ideas
- Students develop the ability to critique and analyse their own work
- Songwriting exposes them to a range of music technologies, as well legal issues around intellectual property rights, and an exploration of the value of ideas and creativity
- Students can share their work through performance, recording and publishing of their song(s)
What we offer:
- Learn inventive techniques for teaching contemporary songwriting
- Engage students with a fresh, hands-on approach, opening them up to exciting possibilities for storytelling and music creation
- Take home resource packs and lesson plans you can immediately use in the classroom
- Develop your own songwriting skills under the guidance of professional songwriters and education experts
Our expert tutors will actively engage teachers in approaches to songwriting to use immediately in their classrooms. Teachers will have the opportunity to write and record their own songs on the day, in a supportive, collaborative environment.
Presented in partnership with Musical Futures Australia.
This initiative is made possible with funding from the Australian Government through the Department of Education.