Music gives us immense pleasure and is a major contributor to our quality of life.
In Australia, we produce world class composers, songwriters and performers. Our creative artists are supported by a sophisticated network of music companies and businesses, cultural organisations, venues and festivals. These connect our musicians and music with audiences, markets and distribution locally and globally. Our creative talent is one of our great international strengths, and Australia boasts an extraordinary roll call of great music artists across all genres.Australian music reaches millions of people here and abroad and is a billion dollar national industry generating thousands of jobs in the live, retail and recording sectors. Music contributes significantly to our economy, our international exports and our cultural diplomacy.
Did you know?
- 9 out of 10 Australians agree with the statement ‘I feel proud when Australian artists do well overseas’
- Australians love the arts: 94% of Australians attend live events or art galleries
- Australians value their artists: 9 out of 10 agree that artists make an important contribution to Australian society
- 85% agree that ‘The arts make for a richer and more meaningful life’
- 92% consider Indigenous Arts an important part of Australia’s culture
At Music Australia, we contribute to the music industry as an information provider and an advocate, mobilising sectors, making submissions, and running campaigns. We work in partnership with researchers to identify information needs, to generate and share ideas and to develop evidence for advocacy, and disseminate findings widely. We bring people to the table and foster common ground. We work across the professional industry (all forms of popular and art music), education, and music in communities. Read more about the Australian Music Industry.
Our International Affiliations
Music Australia is affiliated with the UNESCO linked International Music Council, based in Paris. The International Music Council promotes access to music for all and the value of music in the lives of all peoples.
The International Music Council has proclaimed and works towards the advancement of five music rights which Music Australia supports: The right for all children and adults
- to express themselves musically in all freedom
- to learn musical languages and skills
- to have access to musical involvement through participation, listening, creation, and information
The right for all musical artists
- to develop their artistry and communicate through all media, with proper facilities at their disposal
- to obtain just recognition and remuneration for their work
Further information about the Music Industry can be found by visiting: