Shaping the artform and audience experience into the future
Date: Friday, 5th of June
Time: 4pm – 6pm
Location: Erskineville Townhall, 104 Erskineville Rd, Erskineville, Sydney.
Do you enjoy your fine music in a venue with a drink in hand or do you prefer a recital hall with wonderful acoustics? What will classical and art music look like in the future – 10 or 20 years from now? Is the future as much outside as inside the concert hall? As intimate and socially engaged as impressively large-scale? Embraced by many people of all ages, or the preserve of a few?
As part of 2015 Vivid Ideas this panel session is aimed at young and mid-career music practitioners & future leaders. Our panel of leading practitioners and producers will explore these questions, and provide a lively survey of current practice and likely futures for the artform, and its audiences.
We explore where this artform is heading, some key trends, and what future audiences can expect. From inventive approaches to repertoire, performance and engagement, to examples of great practice, we investigate opportunities, realities, and energising possibilities for classical and art music in Sydney and beyond. We will also grapple with some practical strategies to inform sector development, practice and policy.
Our expert Panel of performers, composers, producers and presenters includes four Music Australia Councillors:
- Andrew Batt-Rawden – Publisher Limelight Magazine, composer and curator, Music Australia Councillor
- Lieven Bertels – Director of Sydney Festival
- Daniel Blinkhorn – Award-winning composer and sound artist, Music Australia Councillor
- Nicole Canham – independent performer, writer, former Artistic Director Canberra Music Festival, Music Australia Councillor
- Claire Edwardes – Co-Artistic Director Ensemble Offspring, award winning percussionist
- Kate Lidbetter – CEO Symphony International, Chair Gondwana Choirs, Music Australia Councillor (Panel Chair)
- Kate Tribe – Owner, Online Manager ClassikON, classical music concert promoter
This session will include Q&A and refreshments and time to meet and mix with our expert panellists.